Well another douche bag is dead, the world is a better place without Fred Phelps. All I have to says is fuck you and good riddance.
Tag Archives: Religion
So this bigot goes on TV and and likens homosexuality to bestiality, bigot then gets suspended from said TV show (and will likely be fired) and queue rightwing rants. So here is my take on the subject.
1. This is not a 1st amendment issue. The first amendment protects him from the government, not a privately held company.
2. A&E is a business, and as such has the right to decide who represents their brand. They made the business decision that bigotry is a loosing business strategy, and acted within that framework.
3. Duck Dynasty guy is absolutely within his rights to be a bigot, however A&E is not obligated to purchase him a soapbox on which to deliver his message. If he wants to buy TV time and spew his hatred, fine good luck with that, but A&E should not be forced to provide him with airtime.
4. Again Duck Dynasty guy is absolutely within his rights to be a bigot, however he should be prepared to deal with the consequence of his bigotry, if you have an unpopular view, you should not be surprised that people react negatively towards you when you express said unpopular belief.
Okay, this one sure brought the afternoon up to a boil with PezWitch. Go read this, then come back.
So your back now and if you are anything other than a recently thawed Neanderthal this probably bothered you at least a little bit. I don’t really care that he thinks sending his son to college is an excellent idea, but is wasted money on his daughters. It is his money, he earned it, he can spend it anyway he wants. What irks me here is he is pretending that he is not “Against educating women” and he is not for “Oppressing women” when in fact this is exactly what he is preaching here. So lets go down his list, shall we.
1. She will attract the wrong types of men: Yes, yes she will attract the wrong type of men. It is a well known phenomenon that fathers hate most of the men their daughters date. Yes, she will likely date some bad boys, this is also a well known phenomenon that young girls like the bad boys. The bad news is there is nothing you can do about this except lock her up in the basement chained to the wall. The good news is she will learn from her mistakes and eventually meet someone who is right for her and makes her happy.
2. She will be in a near occasion of sin: This is another one you have no real control over, unless you are willing to cross the line from concerned parent to chains on the basement wall type of crazy. Look, by the time they reach 14 or 15 all you can hope for is that you have taught them enough common sense not to have sex and if they do to make sure it is safe sex. If you did not do that college age is waaayyy to late to be worried about it. If your daughter is inclined to have sex, it is a good bet she has already gotten the T-Shirt by the time she gets to college age. If you have taught her well and she has all the intellectual and emotional tools she needs to navigate the rough waters of youthful romances, then you really have nothing to worry about.
3. She will not learn to be a wife and mother: Uhm so what? Its not the job of the college to teach a woman to be a wife and mother. If you are as good a parent as you believe yourself to be, then chances are good she has had the best training she can possibly have to be a wife and mother, she has had good role models. If on the other hand you were a cold, distant father and your wife is overbearing and judgemental, then you are right, she is going to have a hard time with this one.
4. The cost of a degree is becoming more difficult to recoup: This applies to sons as well as daughters, if money is really the issue here then you should be discouraging your sons from going to college as well.
5. You don’t have to prove anything to the world: This is true, you don’t have anything to prove to the world. But you should know that the world thinks you are kind of creepy.
6. It could be a near occasion of sin for the parents: Re-read #4, this applies to sons as well as daughters. If you are unable to go into debt for your daughters education, then you should should not go into debt for your son either.
The other day I was talking to a friend whom I had not seen in some time. He remarked that I was somehow more conservative than I claimed to be. I thought about this for a while and decided that it is in fact possible that I am a closet conservative, if by conservative you mean the following;
- Reproductive freedom is a civil right issue.
- Healthcare is a civil right issue.
- Marriage equality is a civil right issue.
- Education is a civil right issue.
- Poverty, drug abuse, and crime in general are solvable problems by society.
- There are no wars of necessity, all wars are optional.
- Religious freedom applies to everyone, not just Christians.
- Marijuana should be regulated like alcohol, not cocaine.
- Our justice system is not perfect, therefore the death penalty is a bad idea.
- Business should be regulated because time and again they have failed society.
- Science moves us forward, religion holds us back.
- Yes, government can be the answer.
I also completely support the 10 Key Values put forth by the Green Party;
- GRASSROOTS DEMOCRACY
- SOCIAL JUSTICE AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
- ECOLOGICAL WISDOM
- COMMUNITY-BASED ECONOMICS AND ECONOMIC JUSTICE
- FEMINISM AND GENDER EQUITY
- RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY
- PERSONAL AND GLOBAL RESPONSIBILITY
- FUTURE FOCUS AND SUSTAINABILITY
I could go on, but I think everyone gets the picture. Does anyone still think I am conservative?
This last week Conservatives finally had their day in court, SCOTUS heard arguments from both sides about the constitutionality of the Affordable Healthcare Act. There is an excellent chance part of the act will be deemed unconstitutional and a much smaller chance they will eliminate all of it. While I hope the SCOTUS acts in good faith here, a part of me thinks maybe the complete over turn of the whole law will have a positive effect on the coming election. If AHA is overturned, healthcare will become a central topic this summer along with the economy, both of these subjects are bad for Republicans. The Democratic party will find it very easy to stir the pot by blaming the Republicans for returning us to the previous system where Insurance companies reject legitimate claims, tell cancer victims they’re uninsurable, and raising premiums year after year while cutting benefits. They could ride to victory on the “Medicare for all” platform, which is easily done with a minor change to an existing law that can be tacked onto a budget bill which requires only 51 votes in the Senate to pass. All that would be needed is a slim majority in both the Houses of Congress and a willing President. This would however require a very disciplined Democratic party and a willingness to allow some Blue Dogs get buried. It would also require moderate Republicans to stay fractured from the tea party wing. Neither of those two things are likely, but who knows what the dog days of summer will bring.
This amuses me. I wonder if anyone will miss the point.
I just finished doing my taxes this morning. Ah the joys of adulthood. 2011 was actually one of my better years. PezWitch and I made considerably more money than we have in a very long time and our tax return reflected this. We are getting about $1500 back, which is nice and as I think about it, if Congress had let the Bush era tax cuts expire last year like they should have, my return would have probably been around $900. That would have still been more money than I got back last year and the deficit the Republicans seem to hate so much, would be shrinking and we could be discussing how to fix Social Security instead of how to destroy it.
While I am thinking about politics, I’d like to thank the Republicans for providing their party with such low quality primary candidates and a long messy primary season which will inevitably leave whoever the ultimate candidate is broke and bloodied by his own party. To make things even better, every dollar spent by those “Citizen United” Republican super PAC’s against their own party members, is a dollar they can not spend against President Obama this fall.
Life is good right now.
Edit:I would also like to say I oppose Catholic Bishops attempting to impose their 13th century morality on 21st century women. The Supreme Court has already ruled on this issue in the case of United States v. Lee – 455 U.S. 252 (1982). Simply put, religion is no excuse for not obeying the law. I would also point out that 20+ States already have requirements for health insurance policies to cover birth control, Catholic organizations in those states have been complying with those requirements for years and absolutely no Catholic Bishops sounded a single objection in that time. These Catholic Bishops need to wake up and take a good look around, a national survey recently showed 98% of Catholic women have used birth control, their own parish members do not support this ridiculous agenda. So please,Catholic Bishops, STFU. Thank you.
According to Harold Camping the Christian Rapture is going to occur next Saturday, May 21st and then 153 days later the world and the universe will end. I have an offer to make anyone who honestly believes this. If you have a pet who needs care for the 153 days after the Rapture, I will fly to whatever location you choose and collect up your pet bring it home with me and take care of it until the earth careens into the sun or whatever is suppose to happen. All you have to do in exchange for this service is sign over all your worldly possessions to me starting on May 22nd. Prior to May 21st, I will need an nonrefundable $500 deposit to cover the travel expenses, I will also need verification from your Lawyer that you have signed over all of your worldly possessions to me starting on May 22nd. It is possible I may have to fly to several locations to pick up several pets, so please arrange for a neighbor to care for your pet for a few days after the Rapture, I will be happy to reimburse any needed expenses for the pet incurred before my arrival. Upon request, I will also arrange to have your pet put to sleep a few days before the end, so Fido or little Fluffy will not have to experience the heat death of the universe.